Search This Blog

Monday, October 20, 2014

Success is counted sweetest

Success is counted sweetest
By those who ne'er succeed.
To comprehend a nectar
Requires sorest need.

Not one of all the purple Host
Who took the Flag today
Can tell the definition
So clear of victory

As he defeated – dying –
On whose forbidden ear
The distant strains of triumph
Burst agonized and clear!
 
EMILY DICKINSON
 
 
 
I recall reading this poem in my American Literature class in high school.  I memorized it.  It stuck.  What is Dickinson saying? 
 
The loser understands victory more than the winner? 
 
I am learning that this is true for many other things in life. Notice I said learning. I don't know all the answers. I don't understand everything.  I am seeking for the answers and understanding and only hope that I will continue to do so throughout my life...
 
 In a previous post, I referenced Rybczynski's book, Home: A Short History of an Idea.  Rybcznski spoke about comfort.  How do we know what comfort is if we have not experienced discomfort?  I think this poem illustrates the same concept.  We can receive full understanding of something when we have experienced its opposite. 
 
My thoughts... how does this affect our desire for a home?  Our desire for a place. Is it attainable here? Has anyone experienced it yet?
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment